Tuesday, May 08, 2007

The Kindness of Strangers

People, as a whole, often suck. Individuals often surprise the hell out of me with how cool they can be. I am sure there's a balance in there somewhere. The challenge is often finding it.

Cases in point.

+++ As I was riding through a construction zone today on my lunch ride, a fuzzy faced worker, complete with hardhat and safety vest, smiled at me and yelled, "It's a great day for a ride. Stay on this side of the cones where you're safe, man. We don't care if you're over here."

+++ Elk's girlfriend, Samantha, is an ovarian cancer survivor and doing her part to help benefit research on the subject. She's working with a east coast event and conducting a prize raffle at the race. The grand prize is a custom Independent Fabrication rigid fork. There are plenty of other great prizes as well, including an entry to the Stoopid 50 race in State College on June 10th, Hoss riding gear, Solo24 DVDs, and a pair of Maxxis Ignitor 29er tires. Chances are $5.00 each and 100% of the proceeds will be donated to HERA.

Raffle tickets are available in advance through BikeReg. You do not need to be present at the event to win so why not be the stranger in this case and give?

+++ As I was nearly home today, someone yelled over to me, "Hey, nice job at TransIowa." Perhaps I just didn't recognize someone I should have, but it was cool to have someone say that out of the blue. Killing that dream meant a lot to me.

2 comments:

gjc said...

Hmmm, Snob, I kind of go with the flow of THE LEVIATHAN on most days. So, a smiling clerk, a helpful phone person, a knowledgable bureaucrat is always a plus.

samantha said...

Thanks for the post. You are very kind!