After a 20 mph first hour ("No one's going to keep this up"), hub deep creek crossings ("Damn, I thought I was going down", and riding with only the Lincoln crew for miles ("It's like a group ride") that's what I had to offer. Headwinds.
From the checkpoint at mile 100 to a point at approximately mile 120 where the general direction finally switched to the North, the race was a south, southwest grind into a 15-20mph headwind. I looked at Corey before we started out with MG and said, "This is going to be a grind." During this time, we saw nearly as many people who had turned to head back to Cottonwood Falls as we had seen going forward on the course. "What the fuck?" I thought. "Just get to the turn, man." Somewhere along the way, the Alice in Chains song "Grind" got stuck in my head. (Click and get the groove before continuing to read.) It was perfect. I'm no fan of the group, but that song fit the bill so well I would never complain.
In the darkest hole, you'd be well advised
Not to plan my funeral before the body dies, yeah
We also rode by one of the race organizers who flashed ten fingers at us and yelled out that we were tenth in the race. Now it was head game time. Angel/Devil. Sweet/It's not over. We're rocking/There's a lot of race left. We chucked that nonsense, managed to not flat over a beautiful but incredibly rocky creek side rode and found ourselves only a mile away from turning out of the wind, when I promptly started to bonk. I walked a hill, ate my last food with 35 miles to go and cursed myself up and down.
I could set you free, rather hear the sound
Of your body breaking as I take you down, yeah
I walked a hill, stuggled my way back to Corey who was standing at the long sought turn and smiled.
"That hurt."
"Yeah."
"How's your food."
"I've got tons. I need water."
"Let's find a farmhouse with a hose."
"Yeah."
"Now we've got a fucking tailwind. Let's go."
More tomorrow. Unless it's your first time here, you know it takes a few days for me to get this out of my system.
3 comments:
Just checking in from Italy...
Nice race! Way to put down the hammer. Talk to you soon.
That wind sucked, but it was worth it for the ride to the North.
Skip, you have the memory of an elephant.
i've been day dreaming about all day rides all week now. sheeet.
Post a Comment