Saturday, October 22, 2005

Costumes

It's mid-morning, rainy and I'm sitting drinking espresso, listening to Broken Social Scene while my crew just chills. By all accounts I should be racing a bit of single speed cross today, but oh well. I don't know anything about Standing Bear, but maybe some mud will even make an appearance. Hope everyone goes hard, feels strong and has a blast.

I started to spend some time this morning looking at some 29er info, but came across a post from Guitar Ted, co-conspirator/creator of TransIowa that led me in a different direction. "29ers, Punk Rock and Zealots."

Wherever the loose and floating connection between Punk and Bikes is, that's where I seem to want to be and remember it first getting framed for me by Hurl on the CRC Site. My first thought wasn't that the read was cool, but that it simply made sense to me. Apparently, it makes sense to a few other too. The Ashville band "Dead Things" gave a good example in 2002.

In an interview with Singletrack Magazine, Travis Brown commented, "I think that a timeless characteristic of the cycling industry is a healthy desire to be unique and I think there will always be individualistic minds there that we can count on for something new and fun." Similiar notion in a different context.

Of course, the philosophy major in me could break all of this apart really quickly into commentary about existentialism and pigeon holes, but why bother. Right now this little costume fits really comfortably.

I'd still love to be racing my bike.

Or maybe I'm just bored.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too much time on your hands Skipster, or do you not sleep?

Please break apart this question for me philosophy boy: Will you be at Platte this weekend?

cvo said...

skip, I'd have loved to have seen you out there racing as well.

you'd have dug saturdays mud fest.

hopefully we'll see you this weekend,
or at pioneers

Endurosnob said...

I believe a bit of both, Sam.

I plan to go up on Saturday, but I don't know if I am going to race yet. Any idea what kind of gearing people run out there when they go SS?

CVO, that's a sweet picture. Whose soul is that you are holding?

Anonymous said...

32X17 or 18 or 19, shit, gears sound nice...

Endurosnob said...

Yes, but then I would have to replace more spokes on the Giant and, to steal from you, that bike sucks.

Cornbread said...

Indeed.

Skip, we should go up for the food, raffle, fund raiser, and video contest.