Thursday, October 06, 2005

Nebraska Cycling - A Bit of Perspective

Recently, we have been considering plans to go back to Indiana for Thanksgiving. In the process, I discovered that I can take my cross bike and race in Indianapolis over that weekend. If you look at the link, you'll see that the event, on the surface, doesn't seem to have nearly the following that our Nebraska Cyclo-Cross Series has. While there is something comparable to the MidAmerica Cross Cup in the Ohio Valley Cyclo-Cross Series, it's the lack of depth around Indianapolis and in Indiana that's really interesting. (which is also a round house compliment to this cat.)

Indianapolis is the 12th largest city in the country, but lacks the scene we have in the Lincoln/Omaha area. I used to work at one of the larger stand-alone bike shops in the country, Bicycle Garage of Indianapolis, but was just amazed at by the cycling community once we moved here and I started working at CycleWorks part-time.

The point of this little diatribe isn't to crack on Indianapolis, but to simply voice an appreciation for what exists here. No scene is perfect, but if you look at what's happening with the effort toward the Wilderness Loop, you see the positives far out weigh the negatives.

Apologizes for the rant, but I hated Lincoln when I moved here, so you can see I have come a long way. Now if we can just get CVO and the waraxe bob to cruise through Indy cranking the MPU and spreading some soul, I might be more excited to go back.

We now return to your regularly scheduled snobbery.

1 comment:

Cornbread said...

Who the hell is this benjamin guy?! He keeps dutch spammin'.