Wednesday, October 12, 2005

3 Peaks Cyclo-Cross

Roughly a month ago, I posted some information about the Iron Cross race. Well, in a patch of boredom I decided to research the inspiration for the race, the Three Peaks Cyclo-Cross event.

In what I found to be a happy surprise, this race has been running for 44 years. It's an obsession with riders from all walks of life. In fact, this gent has set up a blog focused only around this race. It reminds me of a conversation Kris, Rick and I had at Leadville regarding people who do the race year after year after year. In the end, we didn't really get it. Of course, I could see myself becoming that way about TransIowa, so no stones being thrown from me.

I can't help but think about how the 3 Peaks would be a great race to schedule a race calendar around. Vacation in Europe. You already speak the language. Crush yourself for day. Grab a spot of tea and fly home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard some pretty good stories from Keith Bontrager on this race it is on my radar for the future when this bike business stuff slows down a bit. Looks like he shaved 10 minutes off his time from 2004 to 2005. He sent me a event T-shirt pretty basic looking but a great add to the collection.

Check out the link KB riding my old empella.

http://www.kennedyimages.co.uk/gallery.asp?eventname=Three%20Peaks%20Cyclo-Cross&eventno=49&view=Three%20Peaks%20Cyclo-Cross%202005%20194&start=132&racer=

Mr. Bike Shop Owner

Endurosnob said...

What I love about that picture is that grin on his face. Thanks for including that url.