Saturday, September 17, 2005

Homework Grade: Incomplete

Corey and I did indeed roll out to Platte on Wednesday for our Fight Club style homework assignment inspired by Sam. C-Funk rolled on his IF 29er and I took the Fascist Killer SS equipped at 32/16.

This would be only my second time riding the Killer on singletrack and the first was at Wilderness. Mistakes started to pile up quickly. Before I even made it down to the course, I overshot a turn no thinking about the fact I wasn't running discs.

As we started riding up the big climb, Corey looked over with a "you better get your ass moving" look on his face. As the climb tiled upward for the first time, I clued in and got up out of the saddle, holding possibly the slowest cadence I have ever held up over the top. Ouch. Should have warmed up before that.

Shortly thereafter, I went down on a sketchy section of the new trail. Not really a tech section, but certainly something that may need to bit of maintence. (Corey knew the term for the worked needed, but I was clueless.) We actually rode for a while after that without incident and I seemed to be constantly out of the saddle. Finally, about two thirds of the way through a lap, my left calf cramped and I had a new location for one of my calf muscles on the inside of my leg instead of the back. Ouch again.

I cruised to the end of a lap, left Corey to do another and went back to the access road and did intervals up it until Corey finished up. I found quickly that if I didn't get out of the saddle the leg was okay so started cranking it up.

Gagging Fit: Check.
Sour Stomach: Check.
Actual Vomit: Negative.

Final Grade: Incomplete.

2 comments:

cvo said...

dude,
your too hard on yourself,

enjoy riding your bike, not killin yourself or puttin yourself through so much pain.

It was sure good to see you on the ride the other night.

hope to see you again next weekend.
I think we're going out Saturday night so Thad can go.

Cornbread said...

I agree. You're too hard on yourself. Riding Platte on a 32 x 16 is almost impossible...well, not having ever ridden a SS...I would assume it to be impossible.