Friday, July 31, 2009

Take Two Aspirin and Call Me in the Morning...

"Sir, those aren't chewables."
"I'll be the judge of that."

As people who race bikes, we talk a lot about how we feel. And, as a group who 'exercise and call it sport,' those conversations can range from excuse riddled lack-of-training cover ups to legitimate reports resulting from the various viruses and bed bugs the general populace stroll around with everyday.

Prior to 9 Mile, I didn't feel my best and, with Sam strolling around with Mono, played the denial game, deciding not to get looked at until I was back from Wisconsin.

Fast-forward to this week, blood draws and chats with your friendly doctor so-and-so. Has anything changed? Not really.

Poking and proding lead to some commentary that my glands were indeed swollen and that, yes, I likely had Mono (Damn it, Sam!). Of course, then the blood work came back negative (Oh, sorry, Sam.)

After that news was delivered, I got this.

"Well, you definately have something, that much is certain."
"But it's not Mono."
"No, ever had any allegry issues."
"No."
"Well, it might be that. We're going to put you on some Claritin."
"Really?"
"Yeah, we'll try that."
<>
"Do you want a prescription?"
"It's over the counter, isn't it?"
"Well, yeah."
"I think I'm good. Thanks." (For nothing.)

Since we're grasping at straws, my vote for What Ails the Snob? is cytomegalovirus. It's what Alessandro Ballan had that knocked him out of the classics and cemented the infamous World Champions curse for another year. Why? Because it fits my symptoms and, because it's more romantic than having some silly little flower be such a big impact.

Feel free to cast your vote. You can also offer sage wisdom, such as 'take two aspirin,' 'walk it off,' or 'rub some dirt on it.'

8 comments:

Marc Walter said...

Rub one off. Chug two beers. Do it cause everyone else is doin' it. Tired of being tired?

Then chant "on your left" over and over till ur in a hypnotic state. If you're always saying on your left to yourself you always passing someone. That's the name of game.

sda said...

tiger balm up the nose works for me every time. clear ya right out. just don't rub your eyes (or follow marc's advise ... re: rub one off) after the initial application.

Anonymous said...

do a headstand everyday for a month. Stop drinking coffee for at least a month. Start drinking Kombucha. Start going to bed at 10 and getting up at 7.

Guitar Ted said...

I'd vote for much of what Butchie is layin' down here. And you really don't have to do the full headstand, but I managed good results by just getting on my knees and putting the top of my head on the floor. (Stretches ya out good too) Sinuses drained every time. First thing in the am by the way.

I have no idea what Kombucha is, so I can not vouch for that.

And plus 1 on the plenty of rest thing. Caffiene reduction is always a good thing for you silent types, by the way. ;-)

munsoned said...

Well, according to Chris Rock's dad, Robitussin should take care of it.

PaddyH said...

DRINK SOME F@CKIN COFFEE!!!!!!!!


xoxoxo,

P

Anonymous said...

bad side effects of viagra viagra logo viagra dosages viagra uk cheap purchase buy free viagra without prescription how to get viagra buy viagra now viagra buy viagra commercial canyon filmed viagra generique where to buy viagra non prescription viagra viagra mexico cialis viagra

Anonymous said...

[url=http://community.bsu.edu/members/buy+online+Viagra.aspx]purchase generic Viagra online no prescription[/url]