"Winning the Chequamegon 40 is no easy task. But winning it on a singlespeed bicycle is unthinkable. That is until Jesse Lalonde (Gary Fisher 29/BKB) powered his way up last hard climbs in the closing miles and descended down into Telemark Resort alone in the lead, holding off former champions Brian Matter (PCW/Trek) and Steve Tilford (HRRC/Trek). And he did it with just one gear.
Lalonde rode a 36-16 gear on a rigid 29er, becoming the first rider to win the Chequamegon Fat Tire Festival on a singlespeed. “It was only a matter of time,” Lalonde said about his singlespeed win. Marko Lalonde, Jesse’s younger brother and teammate, finished fourth, also on a singlespeed. Their extraordinary rides in the 25th annual Chequamegon Fat Tire Festival illustrate that just one gear is all that’s needed to win a bike race."
Lalonde rode a 36-16 gear on a rigid 29er, becoming the first rider to win the Chequamegon Fat Tire Festival on a singlespeed. “It was only a matter of time,” Lalonde said about his singlespeed win. Marko Lalonde, Jesse’s younger brother and teammate, finished fourth, also on a singlespeed. Their extraordinary rides in the 25th annual Chequamegon Fat Tire Festival illustrate that just one gear is all that’s needed to win a bike race."
Check the full story here.
2 comments:
Amazing! I crossed the finishline and heard Jesse had won and Marko had taken fourth and I felt like I was wittnessing history being made. This is fucking HUGE! Be interesting to see what the industry makes of this. YEAH!!!!!
I flatted twice and still had my best race ever.
I'm speechless, better go ride...
Post a Comment