Monday, April 30, 2007

TI V3: The Essence of TransIowa

"I am here to live out loud." - Emile Zola

After starting to write a recap of TI V3, I found a novel flying out of my head. I have always said that ultra distance events like TI compress years worth of life experiences into a shortened, intense time period. This was no different. So, instead of spewing a post which James Joyce would edit down to size, I am just going to post about TI over the course of the next few days and get it out of my system in a way that's tolerable for the people who stumble over to this blog. I don't think trying to tell the tale chronologically works in such cases anyway (at least for me). I'm better off with the memories and impressions as they come.

Diversity is Essence: I rode the last 50-ish miles of the race with four other guys. We were all on single-speeds, one was fixed.

Ken Yokanovich rode a Rivendale commuter fixed. We chatted a lot over the end of the race and he is a mirror of much of my life. Two kids of the same ages, works in technology, loves bikes. His setup was directly opposite mine, complete with a Chapstick holder. He said he just went with the bike that was most comfortable. In chatting, he said he had 21 bikes to pick from (but in his words, "not all of them are good.")

Matt Braun was rocking a Surly with panniers and started the race with five pounds of summer sausage and five pounds of cheese. Rolled up wool pants was his kit of choice. He looked like he could be on his way to class. He was riding up shit I had to walk.

B.J. aka "Travis Braun" rode with me nearly the entire race. B.J. rocked a frame which was formerly his fathers, equipped with a prototype SS PowerTap hub. It was a tech geeks wetdream. Corey, B.J. and I rode the first half of the course pumping out an average of 220 watts when riding. I am not an expert on race science, but B.J. framed the things he would share with us as we rode. We knew we were doing pretty well.

The finish to TI was a steep two-tiered climb which lead to a graveyard. (I am suprised G-Ted didn't have an open grave waiting on me.) Ken went ahead on the climb but had to walk most of it. I couldn't climb the lower half of the climb and walked my way up the the false flat and paused. B.J. and Matt joined me after riding up the climb. They both worked their way up the climb in a switchback style that I would do well to learn. It was impressive.

As Ken remounted to ride across the line for an incredibly well-earned 6th place, Matt looked at me and said, "You've got one more climb in you, man." I laughed, mainly because I didn't believe I could ride it. I didn't either. I dabbed a couple of strokes from the top. I paused, gathered and rolled it over again, getting over the crux and headed up the last 50 yards to the line. Suddenly, the Lincoln crew was yelling something about a sprint finish and I turned back to see B.J and Matt coming hard. My smile went as wide as the Pacific and I gave it what I had. Corey captured it from below. Bonsall managed to capture an incredible photo of my smile just as my head was coming back around. B.J.'s wearing a huge grin too. It was a sprint for fun and not for places. I think he was enjoying sitting back and watching it as much as anyone else.

Thanks for riding TI with me, B.J.

FatMarc once wrote about how, if I am not mistaken, that his wife said that "Passion" was the one word she would use to describe him. Mrs. Snob read that post and said that was how she would describe me as well. To me, this is also the essence of TransIowa and it is seen in the diversity of its riders and the way they race. You see it in the way people blog about the event and the way people take care of it other on the course. Maybe we are freaks in a freak kingdom, but I am glad I have a key.

The Sprint Finish. Corey Godfrey on Camera.

Go Time. Dave, Big Skinny, and Martha.


The Bonsall Machine at Butch's Place. Katie looks a little worried.



Dangling behind B.J. and Corey.


Look!!! I See a TI Finisher. One for One for Butch.


MW. Was there ever a doubt? Fuck No.








14 comments:

capn cowbell said...

Congrats to the entire Lincoln crew

PaddyH said...

right on!

Taugimba said...

Good ride! Good sharing early morning tileage in some unknown store in some unknown place.

Thanks to the L-crew for the encouragement along the way.

Thanks for the beer, it could have been the best part of my day.

We waved as we passed Lincoln.

Jeff Kerkove said...

awesome stuff!

Anonymous said...

way to represent BKB!

mr. f. g. superman said...

Beautiful. Never thought I'd say that, but that was nearly poetry. I'm glad I can understand what few could wrap their arse around. Congrats on the ride.

Marc Walter said...

Good ride. Lookin forward to more story telling the next few days.

gjc said...

I agree with Cory. You have more than the touch of the poet.

Looking forward to the next installment.

Guitar Ted said...

Skip: Someone wise e-mailed me last week to say that I should hang in there because I was providing folks an opportunity to have a life changing experience.

Thanks for showing me he was right.

Anonymous said...

Thanks skip. That was fun.

Anonymous said...

and by that...i mean your recap and our trip.

Heart and soul check.double check. check.

Word.

MG said...

nice recap skip. i'm sure i really have no idea what you guys went through, but reading your recollections, i felt like i knew.

great ridin', and even better writin'. here's to inspiration.

cheers,
mg

len said...

great writing. if coming baby and wifey let me, i may have to make the trip from tejas next year.

and you gots to learn that switch back style. its a lifesaver. picked it up here road riding a singlespeed on some of austin's steeper hills.

Michael Meiser said...

Best post I've read yet on the Trans Iowa. Really enjoyed it. Unique perspective.

Major props to everyone, but you single speeders blow my mind. I can't imagine what it takes to do it single speed.