Thursday, September 21, 2006

Executive Decision - The Endurosnob Epic is Postponed

We're going to wait for 2007.

I apologize for the brave souls who dove right in and signed up. You'll get a full refund, as you know.

For those folks who were interested but couldn't quite pull the trigger. Feel free to let me know what would have tipped the scales either by email or in the comments. I know a few of the reasons, but am completely open to everyone's thoughts.

Special thanks to those that did sign-up, CreepyFriendly for the killer artwork and Butch and Rick for the Recon help.

Snob out.

17 comments:

cvo said...

that time of the year out there scares the crap outa me,,,,

could be 70's,
could be 20 with snow,

too hard and too late to commit for this sole.

I'd probably be down with a shorter race, maybe 200ish, earlier in the year next year,

but who am I kidding, I also need a gas station every 15 miles or my mangina gets scared.

Chris said...

Proximity to Moab is bad. That was the deciding factor for me. I wanted to do it but I'm already pushing it with the solo 24 and I need a break after Moab. Sounds like a killer ride/course and I really want to do it sometime, just not 3 weeks after a solo 24 hour.

Distance, weather, etc is all fine. I'll take whatever comes my way as long as I'm not starting out on fried legs.

FixieDave said...

Snob is all good...

Glad you made it when you did! It seems you want a really awsome event and I am glad your wanting all the peices to fit!

Have no real gripes about any of it =)

Anonymous said...

I'd totally be there but this time of the year is crazy at work (actually when isn't) and after taking all those days off already I'd be up shit creak.
do it in early spring/ summer and I'm be camped out on your lawn embarrasing you in from of your wife (I'm all talk but I'd be there).
another way of getting more people out is tell them they cannot finish it and they'll crawl out of the wood work.
It's cross time now so get ready for the big hurt.
Dallas " double cross all season long" Sigurdur

Guitar Ted said...

Hey, that's a tough decision, but it shows you care about this. Respect!

I wondered how anyone would find their way through such barren country. Was there a plan in place for navigation? I guess I didn't catch that if there was.

For what it's worth, I knew of three guys that were waiting on your final decision. They were going to pull the trigger if you did it this year. So, peeps are interested.

My choice would be for you to move up the date a bit, say September. Maybe even August. It's a shame to have so much of that beautiful terrain swallowed up in darkness. That's just my opinion though, and I respect your knowledge of the area.

I'm going to plan on trying to get this one in next year. I think it looks awesome and I admire your determination to do this. Looking forward to it!

PaddyH said...

time of year is the big one...it's a long drive...especially if the weather is really sour, plus now, on a personal note I'd be just getting back from Norcal and then driving back half way...everyone's got excuses, mine are pretty lame, I think 90% would agree that the time of year weather freaks them out, and if they deny it, they're effin lying.

Jeff Kerkove said...

I am all about this ride/race. The time of year is the axe in my back. I give thumbs up to a October '07 date. Not too cold...not too hot. Plus, everyone still has the burning desire to ride their bike.

Blogstyle said...

Move it up too early and there are plenty of vultures that'll pick your bones clean by morning. You should run it through Whiteclay, too. For supplies.

Cornbread said...

Kudos on the effort for this year. Sorry I didn't help much. Things just seemed to pop up when you needed help.

Weather and coyotes were a concern for me.

Joe Partridge said...

Any weekend but Iceman weekend, and this would be a hard race for me to skip.

No matter the date, I don't think this is the type of race that will get more than 20 people to toe the line in the first year--just too risky for most. But good reviews from the first year could see it grow.

Anyway, I think you should stick with it. Makes changes if you want, or keep it as it is--it's your race. Make it something other than the first weekend in November, and I'll toe the line.

sda said...

I was waiting on MW to commit. Then I would've come because we were planning on using the buddy system.

next year ...

Taugimba said...

No worries, thanks for making an effort to put on such an event.

It will be in the calendar for next year!

If not we could all come to Lincoln and drink!!!!!

mw said...

man, honestly, i was also scared of the potential nov weather. oct mucho bettero even tho there is some potenital for dangerous weather but not as great a potential as nov.
i still love the idea of the route, don't change that concept. and sda was tempting me with the buddy system idea, which i would still be open to, but i doubted if two more entries would have tipped your scales.

props to you and thanks for the hardwork. it will pay off next year.

Mark Savery said...

I dunno, can you make me less of a pussy?

The photos had me fired up about it. It's an awesome idea. November could be really nasty though.

Matt Maxwell said...

It's sad. I was really looking forward to it, but if it wasn't going to work...well, that's okay. As far as I'm concerned you can keep my $40 for next year. I'm in.

mr. f. g. superman said...

I'm in for next year. I had planned on talking myself into it by the Oct 15th deadline. Sorry, should have let you know.

My only concern was your description of the road disappearing into a hard-to-find trail of bent grass...hmmmm in the dark after 20+hrs on the bike.

Perhaps along with the cue sheet should be sites on the horizon such as: "Head for the windmill" or "Look for a rock formation resembling a phallis".

Anonymous said...

Nov weather. That's what kept me from pulling the trigger. Even with a good forcast, the weather in that country can change way too fast. 30 plus hours on the course, that could be dangerous. I don't have the legs to bring all of the gear I would need to safety ride. This race must happen though. May or October. Thanks for all the hard work you put into the race so far. I'll be there in 2007.