Sunday, May 28, 2006

Well, That Sucked

The Branched Oak 12hr Race Report post had two potential titles. "I Suck" was in the running for quite a while.

I arrived reasonably early but most of the prime spots were taken so I ended up right by an industrial size trash can. Maybe that was a sign? I pulled most of my gear out of the van, set the crew free to play around the lake, said a quick hello to Mr. 24 and slowly got my act together. I was able to get able from the trash can at some point, and was in a nice spot to pit so I felt okay.

During the rider meeting, they announced that there would be a solo SS category and I will admit that my ego was excited. Despite the three weeks off, I thought I could do pretty well.

We took off on a Lemans style start which was more an exercise in not twisting an ankle. We we got to the bikes, the first thing I tried to do was grab Zach's Niner. For those of you who aren't local, the course starts by following the lake through a secton of the park that's never ridden. The only traffic is probably people walking down to the water's edge. Simply put, it's rough as fuck. Going rigid on it was an exercise in running a jackhammer. Once we hit the actual trail, two things quickly became apparent. No one had cut back the limbs and brush. I was in too big of a gear.

There were a few highlights to my crappy four laps. I was passed by several people who were buzzing right along looking strong, RF, Schlake and Mr. 24 come to mind. Bonsall gave me the best moment though. He pulled up behind me in jackhammer land and said, "Is that one of them singlespeed 29ers?" I started to say "Yes..." when I turned and saw it was Jeff running his 29er Kona SS and smiling. I hope that cat did well.

On my fourth lap, I was walking way too much and said, "Fuck it." I pulled out, sat down in a camping chair and stewed for a long while. The thinking went pretty much as follows. I worked hard over the winter and early spring to really bring up the level of my fitness. Mission accomplished. TI gets rained out. I end up off of the bike for three weeks so basically all of that effort has basically been wasted. Frankly, that's basically how I still feel this morning.

At some point though, I will stop being such a self-centered prick, make some more espresso and go mow my yard. This is the wrong weekend for me to obscess over how poorly I ride a bike.

Snob out.

9 comments:

-kw said...

Kent McNeil told me something a long time ago. I nodded at him when he spoke, but I don't really think I heard what he said for a few years.
It was something to the effect of, "If you're in this just for race results you're not going to do it for too long."
There are things that derail us and make it so we can't race, or do well during an event, or train as much as we like, or whatever.
But those times right after all those lame things stop, when you feel good and can pedal in circles not get pissed, if you're in it for those times, I think Kent was trying to tell me, you'll get some real enjoyment out of this bike thing.
Good Job this weekend, Skip.
—kw

Cornbread said...

As always, right on point Kevin.

I feel your pain Skip. Actually, I just feel pain. Hold on a second....let me get another Darvocet.

Ahhh....much better.

cvo said...

dude, it was super good to see ya out there.

it could be worse,

you could be broken right now and not even be able to get on your bike like old big skinny there...

PaddyH said...

what Kw said....'cept for the fact that I can't quote a guy I don't even know...either way gldd you're back on you're bike

Joe Partridge said...

The fitness will return. At least you are on your bike. It sucks to work so hard in the 'off-season' and then have something put a branch in the spokes, but that is just how it goes sometimes.

The season is long; stay on the bike, have fun, and the results will be there.

Joe

Anonymous said...

Snob...yes, Enduro...no.

Just kidding.
Better days will follow.

Arleigh Jenkins said...

Who ever this Kent cat is - he's pretty damn smart. I always thought endurance monkey's (Like you & Team Dicky) did it for soul love. To see how many miles you can bust out in 12 or 24 hours. To see if you could complete Trans Iowa on a single speed - in the mud.

I ride base so I can be faster, not so I can win. I eat right so I don't look like a fat slob and have no energy, not so I can walk down a runway.

It could be worse. You could be a roadie that just lost.

mw said...

i was a bit worried when i saw the skinny tires. i was getting pounded on my 2.1s and you were still kickin the 1.8s. ouch.

chin up buddy...

hey, it's me said...

always take the good with the bad, results don't really mean anything, it's about the experience. That being said having a bad race can stick in the crawl. It's a long season, by sept, you be laughing at this race.

respect
fm