Fast forward to this year and, thanks largely to the upsurge in fixed gear riding, I found myself fascinated by what little I knew of Marshall "Major" Taylor. A few weeks ago, I picked up "Major" by Todd Balf in a coffee induced fit of team over-analysis at Barnes and Noble. While I knew going in that Major was America's first African-American World Champion in 1899 (a fact that had garnered me a few pie shaped tiles in Trivial Pursuit), the rest of his story remained largely a mystery.
The book solved that problem in spades, providing not just details of Taylor's life, but attempting to convey the times in which Taylor found himself. Taylor turned what seemed to amount to a side-show acceptance by racist white America into a life which in many ways transcended the hatred and injustice of the time. As a precursor to Jackie Robinson, he truly did fight through the color barrier which was established in sport.
I have to admit that as I watched the presidential election results come in, I thought of Major Taylor. It's interesting and disappointing to read about what he dealt with in his life. (Can you image today an American World Champion initially being buried in an unmarked grave?) The hundred year gap between Taylor's pinnacle and our present day is a fascinating side-story to the actual read of the book, one well worth the cover price.
Taylor wrote an autobiography. I think I will track that down next.
3 comments:
I picked "Major" up a few months ago and have found it to be an eye-opening read also. See you at TIv5.
i was born in lawrenceburg, indiana
great reads both - this book you mention as well as the autobiography. there is also a pretty film out there, but i cannot remember the name of it.
Post a Comment