Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Have Abacus, Will Travel

And so it begins...

My season of racing not to finish last takes off Sunday. Marathon in KS. 3Hrs of racing. Not much longer than a XC race really, but I am really looking forward to it regardless. Lantern Rouge, here I come.

The louder you say, "On your left," the faster I will get over.

G-Ted has Paddy on the record. Canadian Class.

Speaking of internet content and mal-content. Two new links are added. TwoWheeledLocust and Gwadzilla.

The TransIowa discussion on MTBR has turned to gear choice by the SS crew (as well and winds and gas stations.) This made me break out my less than stellar math skills and refer to the SurlyBlog for a little mental assistance in SPEW.

Having just bumped up my wheels to Niner sizing, I thought I would work out what in the hell the measurable difference was in the work my tiny legs are doing. I just stuck with Gear Inches because I wasn't about to jump into the deep end of the pool and calculate Gain Ratio.

My floaties and I are just fine in the shallow end.

What I found was that I am content to be running something slightly smaller than the folks that listed their selections on the thread. Basically, Joe and I seem to be on the same page. I am with Dallas though, in that I will bring what I need to make a last minute switch if needed. Flexible plans have always worked best for me.

Now I remember why I took Logic to get out of any math in college.

11 comments:

cvo said...

game on for the weekend bro.

hey, do you know how to drive a stick, cuz i'm gettin loaded after the race, I'll drive there,

but not home,

cornbread doesn't know how to yet, I'm thinking saturday since the rain is gonna bum out the saturday race sceen, satruday I'll try teaching big skinny how to grind my gears on the super honda.

or maybe we'll both get drunk at the end of the race and hope for the best, throw him to the wolves
and see if he can teach himself how to do it.

RF said...

Gain ratio is the best. Every other way of communicating gearing leaves out at least one piece of critical info, like wheel size, or crank size, etc. However, if you are the only one talking about gain ratio, you can't have a meaningful dicussion with anyone else anyway about gearing. So good luck. I dream of a day when every cyclist will have read and adopted sheldon browns ideas, and we can all speak the same language again. Sheldon Brown rules. Now I just wish he would give me write up on how to set the sag and platform settings my suspension. :-)

Look forward to ridin with ya on sunday. I should be pretty well toasted after saturdays xc racin.

Anonymous said...

Malcontent? Who you callin' a malcontent?

You've been linked. Welcome aboard.

Anonymous said...

What speed do you aim to average, and what cadence do you like to run?

Endurosnob said...

I lean a bit toward spinning instead of mashing in long ones, so I would day around 85-90 as far as cadence. I would like to average at least 13 mph.

That's all off the top of my head, Anonymous, but seems reasonable for TI.

Anonymous said...

That's cool.

I am single speeding Trans-Iowa and am playing with gearing options. I was aiming at 15 mph on bike and am starting to wonder if that is wildly optimistic. At 15 mph I would be spinning at 80 RPMs. At 13 mph I would be not-so-spinning.

If I had my fricking bike I could try out the equipment/gearing and find out if it is realistic or not. . .

Endurosnob said...

What are you waiting on? Custom frame?

Anonymous said...

Yep, custom frame. I don't want to give too many details out so I don't create bad press for the builder. So I will stop now, though I want to vent. Must. . . hold. . . . back. . . . . . .

Endurosnob said...

Roger that. Let's see... Single Speeding, waiting on a frame...

Morlachach? (sp?)

Hopefully, your builder is nearly as frustrated as you are and you'll have it in hand soon.

Joe Partridge said...

I would be real nervous about trying a new frame at this point in my TI training. In fact, I stopped tweaking seat and bar position in January.

Of course, if I was waiting on my dream bike, and I *knew* it would be a perfect fit...

Nope, still wouldn't do it! Anonymous, you are a brave man! ;)

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I found a place where you can
get a new game system, Just go to the site below
and put in your zip to see what's available in your area.
I sold mine and got some extra cash!

game system