Tuesday, November 08, 2005

'Derailleurs are for Failures'


As some of you know, lately I have become a bit obsessed with single-speeds. It's pretty easy to trace things back to the source; a conversation returning from Leadville between Jeff, Mohawk and myself. By the time it was over, Johnny had offered the Fascist Killer to convert and it was game-on.

It didn't take long to see benefits. I am a mechanical nitwit, so life was easier there. But more importantly to me, it helped make me faster. It's funny how you ride better when you have to carry speed as opposed to over-braking, then cranking it up again. It was nice to longer be dropping back through the winding sections at Wilderness then having to fight back on. (If you haven't seen it yet, and I am sure you have, there is also some interesting comments on Folks from Lincoln in regard to 'why?').

It's now reached a level where I plan to race SS in any short races next year, while gearing up for anything longer. With two possible exceptions, TI and Leadville. Cameron and I discussed the prospects of racing TI on a single speed. It's also been done before by Todd Scott (4th) Patrick Humenny (5th) and others. I had also planned on racing Cross single-speed until life intervened.

To me the best scenario is two mountain bikes with identical dimensions, one single and one geared. That way, you can switch back and forth without causing your body to ask, "WTF?"

The quote used as the title of this post is lifted from Jesse Lalonde's site (see link on the side). Jesse won the Single Speed World Championship bike race, but not the carts.

I say ride it all, geared, single, fixed. It's all bikes and it's all good.

By the way, the pic's of Matt Slaven.

16 comments:

Endurosnob said...

Hey Butch!!

It's like the Lemond quote (which I may botch) that it always hurts, you just get faster.

Everyone has such good things to say about that guy that it makes me wish he were still around here. I did ride with him once, with Jeff and Tony W. Needless to say, he and Tony were fun to watch.

rockd said...

So many things to think about and so little time. I have been checking out different bike builders, these guys http://ninerbikes.com/ seem to have a the answer, at least one I am interested in. Their new model has changeable drop outs, not a new concept but these are pretty clean, not bad prices on the bikes either.
On a different note, I'll be looking forward to some weekly rides in a couple of weeks, shoulder this time, no recentaccidents just the result of many crashes and Honda transmissions.

rockd said...

Better bet is to go here http://twentynineinches.com/, scroll down a bit and check out their S.I.R 9

Jeff Kerkove said...

So, is Mr Chambers think'n about Trans-Iowa?

That would be cool.

cvo said...

I still like my derailer..
it alows me to go slower and my knees don't hurt as much.

going slower means I don't spill as much beer when I'm riding...

Skip,
you commin to Platte tonight?

JT said...

http://www.adventurerace.com/eng/english.htm

Here is a good race. We have american's over preparing to race. Im watching Walker Ferguson.

Endurosnob said...

As sad as it is, I know the Ruta link without even going to it. Great lead-in to an upcoming post. Wouldn't it be nice if we could actually get an American to win it?

Anonymous said...

Mr. Chambers will not be competing in Trans Iowa, maybe someday...

Endurosnob said...

How about Mr. Samsam?

Jeff Kerkove said...

SamSam,

You need to tell Cameron that it will make for some good base miles.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Yes, I'm in unless something would come up and force me to travel that weekend.

Jeff, I'll mention it to Cameron, but I might make him drive my van across the state instead.

Endurosnob said...

Come on, Sam. We were already talking about it and as his wrench, one would think you could close the deal.

Actually, when we were talking about it, he had that, "I'd like to but..." tone of voice going.

Him supporting you is a cool idea though. He pushed you up the big climb at Platte nicely enough.

So have you figured out your alarm yet?

Anonymous said...

Maybe, are you suggesting something?

Endurosnob said...

You know it. You don't even need your alarm this weekend. When shall we ride?

mw said...

no gears is good. i think the benefits of the SS get greater as the distance increases. on the other hand i took the geary for the 162 we did this summer.

Endurosnob said...

Matt, I would love to hear more about why you think the benefits become greater over distance.