Wednesday, November 09, 2005

How about Endurance Cyclist of the Year?


You've seen its various forms on Velonews and read the MTB Omaha post with North American Male Cyclist opinions, but how about the endurance set? Somehow I doubt we will see this option in the year end issue. Endurance Cyclist of the Year.

Some folks who could merit your vote:

-Dave Weins. Crushed it in both Leadville and the Vapour Trail.
-Cameron. Do I really need to add anything here?
-Ernesto aka. Sologoat. Pushed Eatough at "Worlds" to finish 2nd and won nearly everything else he entered.
-Eatough himself. "World Champ."
-Jeff Kerkove. Got screwed out of his biggest goal, regrouped, then crushed it both locally and in Japan.
-Mike Curiak. No hamster wheels here. Set a new record in Alaska.
-Dejay Birtch. SS "Worlds" and National Champ.

You get the idea. Who have I forgotten? They all get mad props. Opinions?

I believe the proper name for this would be the "John Stamstad Award."

30 comments:

Jeff Kerkove said...

I give my vote to Ernesto. The only race he didn't finish was Trans-Iowa. But he podium'd at every event the rest of the year. Not to mention some of the biggest races in the World. Go Goat GO!

Carl Buchanan said...

I have to give my vote to Jeff Kerkove fpr overcoming the whole "world's" thing and pushing through everything else. Of course theree is the other part about him, pushing me to my first endurance podium with all of his motivating powers. Thanks Jeff.

All3Sports said...

My vote goes to Jeff Kerkove. Not just for his race dominance but for what he brings to the sport. No other racer is as real and honest as Jeff is. And yea, how many run their own race (Trans Iowa).
Jeff's stand against the A-hole that runs Worlds was done for the betterment of the sport and caused him to give up his largest goal for the year.

Crash Test said...

I will have to vote for Jim Peterson because he is my teammate and I believe the oldest competitor in the open class at 24 hour worlds. Also he is just a great guy in genreal... Not only that but some one other then Kerkove needs a vote lol. Sorry Jeff

Sean Noonan said...

Jeff kerkove. he's the shit. respect.




(though it's really unfair that he's the only one with a link to the voting so everyones votes for him)

Anonymous said...

Well Skipster, we're gonna need more categories:

Johnny Mohawk-Enduro Drinking/Cyclist of the Year

Skip-Enduro "Most miles without chain lube/the way I ride" Cyclist of the Year

Cornbread- Enduro "why is that blood vein in my leg trying to poke through the skin" Cyclist of the year

Eatough-Enduro "I still own this sport" Cyclist of the Year

Nat Ross-Enduro "Jibberish at Midnight" Cyclist of the Year

Jeff K-(I don't know you at all, but I'll run with this anyway) Enduro "Blogger and discussion forum extrodinaire" Cyclist of the Year

and of course...

Cam Chambers-Enduro "My mechanic is the mutherfucking shit, and I just try to please him" Cyclist of the Year.

Anonymous said...

Oops, I forgot one.

Dejay Birtch-Enduro "Get me out of this goddam VW full of compressed air" Cyclist of the Year.

Jeff Kerkove said...

I am NOT at the top of this list. What Ernesto, Cameron, and even Eatough have done warrants them the honor.

Endurosnob said...

Your Iowa boys definately have your back and that's sweet as hell.

JT said...

How about some history, We have seen alot fast guys past through the ranks of Endurance Cycling.


John Stamstad



Rishi Grewal

Guitar Ted said...

Well, how can I vote for anyone besides Jeff Kerkove. He got me into helping out with this Trans Iowa madness, and interested me in this whole enduro-world!

My secondplace vote goes to Ernesto! Props to you for a stellar season! Race Result King!

My vote of historical importance and influence goes to Mike Curiak. He's as rad asit gets and sports it all on the "big wheels"! Props!

Anonymous said...

My vote's for Dejay. I think that he only gets off of his bike to drive to the next race. Also, wins hand down for the drink the most beer and still compete award.

Anonymous said...

I'll also vote for Dejay. Not only can he navigate a bike, but I've seen him drive his RV through a 4 wheelin route near Montezuma, CO.

Anonymous said...

dejay wins for the three-peat of brian head, 24hr nats and 24hr worlds, all single, all the time

Anonymous said...

Well my vote would go to Dejay most days of the week because he's a goddamned pimp with a handlebar mustache and CO2 coming out his a*s however there is an operative word that should render a bottom line perspective here; "ENDURANCE". Thus, Curiak hands down. He rides further; not to mention in conditions far from "all the rain and mud made my bajillionth lap the most challenging". You gotta respect that.

Enjoy the ride...

Dave said...

Dejay gets my vote....cause he's so REAL...a blue collar mans man.

Simmons said...

I vote for Dejay as well.

Anonymous said...

I vote for Dejay! Hells yeah! Nothing rides faster than a BOOSH on wheels!

Anonymous said...

i give big ups to dejay birch! that guy is a freakin madman who is taking the world by storm! i heard he was going to get pedals installed on the RV he drives so he can train while he drives!

Anonymous said...

To add to Mr. Bike Shop owner' history lesson:

Danny Chew.

I don't think he's all there in the head, but probably the only person who will ride 1 million miles in a lifetime.

Anonymous said...

dejay birtch fo shizzal

Anonymous said...

not only did dejay win most of the races he entered this summer he also had to spend 4 months on the road with Jake.....that is endurance in itself

Anonymous said...

I'll throw a vote in for Jake, cause he made me wait until dark to start drinkin in Spokane.

Anonymous said...

Dejay Birtch hands down...cause i dont know any of the other guys...and he's a mad man on two wheels.

WUNNSPEED said...

I'm a big Cameron fan and always have been. If nothing else, Cameron is making a name for himself and making friends all the way. After that, I'd say Curiak. Also, a great guy.

Fact is... all of these people are the shit! Glad someone is paying them respect.

Anonymous said...

Dejay fer sure. I know he can go waaaaay longer than anyone else.

Anonymous said...

The man, Dejay Birtch! Should be the endurance racer of the year. A man that produce results under any circumstance... sleeping on the floor or under an RV...party all night..and still rock out!

Anonymous said...

dejay for president!!! or at least the Endurance Athlete of the year. votes from us at Arizona Cyclist.

Anonymous said...

Dejay is the guy you want. Not only is he a master of singlespeed endurance racing: he does it with style! There is no one else I would pick to represent.

Anonymous said...

I think I have to vote Jeff Kerkove. Cameron might push him for it this year now that he's back as a professional though.

Has it really been 8 years since Samstead retired? Is he doing endurance running any longer? List I heard he did the PCT and then vanished off the pages of Patagonia catalogs and their website.