Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Custom Cross Bike - The Mini-Series

I've alluded to this several times already, but the Network has now approved it for its own spot here on the blog. Shouldn't the Discovery Channel be doing something like this? The Great Biker Buildoff for the machines WE love? I think they're missing it, but I digress.

Everytime going Custom has come up for me, the conversation always dances back and forth between my needs and preferred builders, but let's start with the builders.

Here are the folks that go through my head:

Vanilla Bicycles. Damn Sexy Bicycles.

Matt Chester. Custom. Titanium. Single Gear.

Indy Fab. A fave at the shop.

Ira Ryan. Learned under Sacha. TransIowa V1 Champ.

Badger Cycles. Enduro Freak and Bike Builder.

Who pops into your mind?

This just in...

Slaven was robbed in "The Great Calf Off" on Shannon Skerritt's site. I also noticed Shannon correctly predicted Sir Wilhelm's result at Cross Nats. SS and Fixed Represent!!

Lastly, I have been "attacked" by a Two Wheeled Weapon.

7 comments:

thad said...

word on the street is that MC is calling it quits.

jk said...

Anybody seen one of these?

Colorado, $850 steel frame custom
http://www.waltworks.com/dev/philosophy/index.php

jk said...

http://www.twentyniner.net/bikes/

are we just talking 29er's?

Cornbread said...

I heard about this small company of frame builders in Somerville, Massachusets. Bunch of young guys and gals that love to make beautiful bikes to the tightest tolerances. The bikes are flawless. They do full custom bikes (steel and ti) and have a P.P.G certified paint department. They also shotpean all ti bikes for durability and aesthetics.

So pretty much anything you want.

The cost? Shit, for all they give ya, it's a hell of a deal in my opinion. Plus, you might know of a local shop that is a dealer.

:)

Guitar Ted said...

Rob Pennell/ Badger Cycles does some pretty cool fillet brazed eye candy. Word is that he developed a new brazing media that has better qualities than previous brazing materials. The guy's also a radical thinker, which is cool when it comes to bike designs.

Yeah, M.C....... that's a heavy blow, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do! I would've craved one o them steeds!

Walt's are pretty nice, but they are on the more utilitarian side of things, which isn't saying they are bad. It's just that you wouldn't bring up a Walt in the same conversation as a Vanilla, that's all. I wouldn't feel bad about thrashing a Walt, where as doing that to a Vanilla.....well let's say it would be done with a wince!

mw said...

soulcraft.

SpeedyChix said...

I'll toss another vote at ya for Badger. I'm riding one of Rob's 29ers right now and have a CX on the build list. I've been VERY happy with the ride of the bike. It's taken everything I've thrown at it and in return it has been real polite and a joy to ride.

Speedychix.blogspot.com