Visited some new sections of the North Country Trail today. Check it below. Midway through the yellow section at Dilling Road over to somewhere near Beers Road. Apparently, you can't ride on the yellow section East of that road.
*

Sawdust Hole? Insert joke here. Actually, this is where I parked the Prius after having blown be the entry to the trail. I was looking for an actual trailhead, but no. Small sign, blue market, keep eyes peeled.
*

The trail was very similar to other sections of NCT and the Big M we road at Lumberjack. However, I never saw a soul.
*

Climb.
*

After several miles there was a ridge that often feel away to nothing on my right. This was the case on and off for much of the day. The trail was not very technical but the occassional root infested climb did have me thinking that if I hit one wrong and it really kicked me out that I might fall for a while.
*
*

Every so often you would hit a forest road. Not sure which one this was. Somewhere before forest road 8020 I was cruising downhill for what seemed like a long while and started thinking, "I have to climb back up this thing." It one of the few climbs in the midwest where you could just sit and get in a rythmn. Nice.

Every so often you would hit a forest road. Not sure which one this was. Somewhere before forest road 8020 I was cruising downhill for what seemed like a long while and started thinking, "I have to climb back up this thing." It one of the few climbs in the midwest where you could just sit and get in a rythmn. Nice.
*

After seeing no one on the trail for roughly over 2.5 hours, I needed to turn around. I had enough food and water to make it back but that was really about it. Next time, I will pack for a longer mission with a Camelbak.

After seeing no one on the trail for roughly over 2.5 hours, I needed to turn around. I had enough food and water to make it back but that was really about it. Next time, I will pack for a longer mission with a Camelbak.
*

Btw, you may notice a large uptick in photo quality. Mrs. Snob and I picked up a new camera before heading to Michigan. Unfortunately, I missed many of the better photo ops of the ride which were all animal related, including a huge owl (shouldn't he have been sleeping?), several raccoons and multiple deer sighting.

Btw, you may notice a large uptick in photo quality. Mrs. Snob and I picked up a new camera before heading to Michigan. Unfortunately, I missed many of the better photo ops of the ride which were all animal related, including a huge owl (shouldn't he have been sleeping?), several raccoons and multiple deer sighting.
Tomorrow I may head across to Beers Rd and take it from there.
Now it's pouring like hell. Glad I got the ride in.

5 comments:
How's the hands doing? I assume better since you haven't mentioned it.
Nice looking ride. I suppose the solitude was a nice balance from all the racing.
Any tick problems? It seems this year the little devils are raging. Mike Curiak had a funny write up about ticks and the Mah Dah Hey trail. Good stuff, (well, as long as you didn't get Lymes or something like that!)
That area brings back childhood memories. We had a family doublewide just east of there in Hoxieville and spent a lot of time skiing, hiking, biking, canoeing in the area.
If only I would have known about the whole mtn bike thing 25 years ago. Looks like some great trails.
Nice photos!
Your right...if you fall the wrong way on the NCT, you'll travel for a while before stopping. Have fun riding!
Snob, what program do you use to do your blogging? With blogger I can never get it so I can put in text after each picture it all gets thrown in at the bottom.
ID-10-T error t-bone.
nice pics man, looks like some sweet trails. may have to put that place on the list.
Post a Comment