Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Replacements

Aside from continuing to put miles in, much of my time "about the bike" this week has been around getting ready for 9 Mile. While many of the considerations are fun, like Johnny asking how many times he can hit me to get me back on my bike before I hit him back, others lead down the path to either frustration or a race I can be happy with or even proud of.

Two considerations which bare this out have revolved around the extremities; my hands and feet.

My feet have given me problems all year and I have no one to blame but myself. In the fall, I picked up a new pair of Nike shoes the day of a cross race because I had ground the cleats of my five year old Sidi shoes down to the sole. The Nike shoes were fine for cross. Over the winter, I used both pairs of shoes because the Nike shoes wouldn't allow cleat contact with my pink Candy pedals.

Unfortunately, once summer arrived and I got another pair of Egg Beaters, my feet began to ache as I wore the Nike shoes more and more. I stuggled through through TransIowa with foot pain and things culminated with the fact that my feet have continually ached into early July. Finally and, looking back, far later than I should have, I purchased a new pair of Sidi shoes with 9 Mile in mind.

If you have ever had a custom footbed or insert made for your shoes, you likely know the feeling of suddenly having your foot return to a proper alignment. I once ran a ski shop in California and was certified to make custom cork insoles for ski boots. When you made them well and put someone's lower body in proper alignment, they would be amazed, talk about the tingling in their ankles and knees and generally act like you had provided a new lease on life. This was the case with the new Sidi shoes. The flip side, of course, is that my experience with insoles should have had me changing shoes long before now, but at least the change has been made. Time to move forward.

My hands are another issue. Last year, I was riding with two functioning fingers on each hand by the end of the race and it took a long time for my hands to recover afterward. This year had been fine until Lumberjack. However, my post Lumberjack experience proved worse than 9 Mile and, as many of you know, prompted new bar considerations. However, the new bar, while an improvement, hasn't proven to be enough.

So, to steal from my conversation with Joe after Lumberjack, I am cheating. I'm cheating and my ego isn't dealing with it very well. I will be running a Reba at 9 Mile.

In the end, Mrs. Snob hit the nail on the head when she asked me what I would tell a friend to do in the same situation. 9 Mile only last 19 hours last year and my hands still aren't quite right. If I have a good race with a Reba onboard, I'll feel great. If I had to drop out with the legs willing but my hands unable to hold my bars, I'd be crushed. The Switchblade will go back on after 9 Mile, but I'm not taking chances on this one. Even if my heart doesn't want to do it.

With all that square, I can get back to the important stuff. Johnny needs certain songs in certain moments or certain times of the race. Time to burn some discs. I'm leaning toward The Germs "Lexicon Devil" for a race freakout, but who knows.

Suggestions are welcome.

On a side note, Mrs. Snob may "broadcast" 9 Mile with the help of my Blackberry. Be warned. She may find some of you for Dave Z inspired One Question Interviews.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, since suggestions are welcome:
Those grips look nice, but not too comfy. Lotsa folks digging the Ergons, but I'm still on foamies till the model I want is re-released.
Mary bars might offer a few different hand positions, but they didn't work for me. I ended up having pressure where I didn't want it.
The Bonty fork is not the most compliant carbon out there. It has an aluminum core in the legs.
I run a larger rotor up front. More power in braking means less effort to slow down. Saves the forearms quite a bit of pain.
Depending on how dialed your bike fit is you could raise the bar-shorten the stem to put more of your weight on your ass.
Raise your arms above your head on the flats and shake them. Really.
Be aware of where the padding in your gloves is placed. I've had some gloves that make things worse due to the pad placement.
I also recently moved my cleats forward a little and my hot foot-nerve damage thing has been much better.
Well, you did ask for suggestions right?

Dicky

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, if you ever toe the line against me all my advice is worthless. Do what you have been doing and you'll be fine.

No foul going to the Reba. Health always before pride (except in my case where I place no value on physical longevity).

Dicky

Chris said...

I took a page out of Eat-off's book and started taping my wrists -- makes a world of difference. And I may be biased here (I do work at SRAM after all), but Reba is a goddess, and the only way to go.

Mark Savery said...

You'll love the Reba. Being a suspension guy I've been extremely impressed with the fork. My set-up tip...run your negative air pressure 20 psi lower than your positive. Rock Shox motion control system has virtually zero compression damping which makes the fork dive pretty bad in turns. Yeah, I know it says on the little knob up top that it's compression adjustment but it's a wank way of doing it (i.e. it has no speed sensitivity). I've found the 20 psi differential to be a good middle ground between holding the front end up, yet keeping things plush. You'll love it.

I've taped my wrists before as well and it does help. Practice with it a couple days though. It's really easy to tape it too tight or too loose.

Good luck bro, you're looking fit and fast, I know you're going to kill it.

Anonymous said...

OK, here are my suggestions:

Bad Brains "Rock for Light"
Judas Priest "Defenders of the Faith"
Sleater-Kinney "The Woods"
Green Day "Kerplunk"
Beastie Boys "Check Your Head"

Got more if ya want 'em!

Guitar Ted said...

I'm going to second, (third? forth?) the advice on the Reba, although I have had great success with only a 10 psi differential, but hey, I'm HUGE! heh heh!

Look, fahgeddaboud the guilt as far as yer fork goes. Ya gotta kill it at 9 mile and ya ain't gonna make it if yous hafta pull out, ya know? I beleive you'll be fine with the squish.

And this is really, really obscure, but if you can find Ultra Monkey by the Tantra Monsters you guys will be breakin' shit all night, guaranteed!

Grizzly Adam said...

My Nike road shoes are hell. I hate them. I have been too cheap to replace them though, so any road ride over 3 hours or so, and my feet hurt so much I can hardly push the pedals.

Nike shoes tend to be narrow, and I have wide feet. It makes for a bad combination.

Good luck at 9 mile!

PaddyH said...

lets just start into the leinenkugel's at 8am sat morn and let the chips fall where they may

Joe Partridge said...

I'm with Paddy! We could combine laps complete + empty bottles for an overall score...

Blogstyle said...

Like shooting kids in a barrel.

Anonymous said...

looking forward to seein' ya up there. there'll be a BKB encampment and a planned backwoods 2a.m. disco/stoners lounge back beyond Rosebud checkpoint. effin' pinatas are goin' down!
djonnymac