Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Multiple Positions with Mary

Ah, nothing like a little innuendo...

Picked up an On-One Mary Bar at the shop a few days ago in order to improve my hand situation for 9 Mile. After some experimentation, I believe we may have a winner. (I still feel like I am stock upright and riding a hybrid, but am going to give it some time.)
*
I started with them flipped upside down...

and ended with them right-side up.


10 comments:

VeloCC said...

So what does Mrs. Snob Say to Mary?:)

Unknown said...

Good choice, the Mary's. I started out with 'em down. Then up.

Then I rotated them so the grips were pointed down. Then I pointed them down some more. One last adjustment to raise them up just a bit and it's been a love affair for the ages.

brant@shedfire said...

Yeah - we tend to find they work better when you point the grips at your rear axle.

How do i get to my old stuff said...

You know, Rob's (Badger Cycles) been telling me to raise my bars. I've got 'em so high now that I feel as slow as slow, but damn if he isn't right about the handling improvement in tight spots. He said roadies always start with looking for their road position and then they take years to get the bars up where they can really ride the tight stuff. I've decided to just take his advice from the get go, even if it feels weird. I'll report after Sunday's race.

Anonymous said...

Was it "feel" that got you numb hands last year? Stupid upright ain't all that bad.

Guitar Ted said...

I have the "knock off" of the Mary bar called the Space bar on one of my rigs. Upside down and it's just right for me.

I don't like wheelies on climbs so I'm not in the "higher is better" camp. About a two inch saddle to bar drop is as high as I can manage before I get too light on the front wheel. Your mileage may vary.

dale said...

I have mine angled about halfway between the top of the tire and rear axle. Seat is a tad below the middle of handgrip.

Set height and angle according to best feel while standing fairly upright pedalling for stretching and recovery of the butt/back/legs on a ss. Feels good seated as well.

dale said...

More precisely, I got the height and angle in the ballpark via seated and dialed it in via standing.

Dan Sundermeier said...

thank god for dual bolt clamp brake levers.

mr. f. g. superman said...

Hmm. Never thought of flipping her over...