Sunday, June 24, 2007

Deadened

I wouldn't say I am sick of racing, but a mellow weekend was very welcome, particularly since my ulnar nerve in my left hand currently hates me. I no longer have to have Corey open bottles for me, but I still can't open the can of Ragu. Still clocking good rides, just a lot of hand-wringing while riding.

Maybe 8am is still too early, but the fresh BKB kit feels good.

IF love done 38x17.



Jamaica North now complete to Princeton, bridges excluded.

PC in the house.




7 comments:

Mark Savery said...

nerves? who needs them, they only bring pain. wait...in that case, maybe you're AuLLnar NERVE. Keep bringing the pain!

gjc said...

yes, the bkb kit looks and feels good. sorry to hear about your hand pain.

munsoned said...

Ergon grips are the way to go. I know they look dorky, but if they ease the pain or your hand, the pain of being made fun of seems like nothing. I have a goofy flipped Mary looking bar and put Ergons on it - true frankenbike style. I did the Ponca 4 hr race on my rigid with absolutely no hand pain. Think of it like this, the difference between a regular grip and the Ergons is like pressing your palm on the edge of a table or pressing on the flat of the table. Your ulnar nerve won't be pinched by a round bar, rather the flat part of the Ergon will dissipate the load.

I don't mean to sound like I'm preaching, but when you find something that fixes an issue you have and someone else could benefit from that knowledge, it's only right to pass it on. See if your shop will let you test them out and bring them back if they don't work. Let your hands heal for a little first so you have a chance for a fresh perspective. Hope all this helps!

VeloCC said...

I have to agree on the Ergon grips and I know hand pain. Actually I just tested my new grips: http://velocc.blogspot.com/
Ergon grips give you 40% more support for your hands and that makes a huges difference...
Worth a try. Just contact Ergon USA. They are super nice!

Joe Partridge said...

I've got to disagree on the ergon's. I used them during TIv1 and had numb fingers for months after. I switched to Jones H-Bars and have been in hand-heaven ever since.

Guitar Ted said...

Skip, I think Joe is on to something, but it doesn't have anything to do with the Ergons, me thinks.

I have a hunch it's more to do with posisition of the hands/wrists/forearms for Joe and some of the rest of us.

Take your normal resting arm posistion while standing- arms at your sides. Slowly raise your forearm taking care not to move your hand or wrist. Take a look at the angle formed through the bent fingers on your hand. I'm betting it's much more than 5 degrees, ( most XC bars) or even more than 10 degrees ( most riser bars). Now twist your wrists and forearms to mimic the current posistion of your handle bars. Feel the tension in your fore arms?

That's a message to Rudy.

Get yerself some bent bars and see what happens. Maybe you are like Joe, maybe not.

Mark Savery said...

Alright, since everyone is being serious I guess I will too.

I agree with G-Ted on this one. For some reason in the not so distant past it became all the rage to have upturned bars. Why I don't know, but if you look at most motorcycles the bars are pointing down and back, not up and back. Hence the Jones H design. I used to run my old Hyperlite bars pointing down, it just felt better.

Flat bars with varying degrees of sweep are the best to use. The compound bends of riser bars create problems. If you like risers, I've found the bend on the Answer ProTaper to be the best.

Keep dishing out the pain.